The privilege of having a pet is equal to the responsibility it takes to reflect true pet ownership. For your sake, and everyone around you, the responsibilities begin on day one. Here is NorCal Vet’s list of things to remember when it comes to pet ownership in the Daly City area:
- Make sure you are ready to make a lifetime commitment to care for your pet – a pet takes a lot of time, effort and money
- Your pet must match your personality and lifestyle – are you more active or sedentary?
- Do not have more pets than you can care for – pets provide so much validation and love that it makes it easy, in some cases, to consider “the more the merrier.” However, you must know the laws around multiple pets, and be able to provide all the necessary food, water, medical attention, exercise, personal attention, training, and proper socialization
- Spay and neuter your pet – help contribute to animal population control in Daly City, so every animal leads a quality life
- Choose the right veterinarian for you and your pet – find a veterinarian who specializes in your pet’s breed and is able to develop a personal relationship with you and your pet, like NorCal Vet
- Vaccinate your pet – protect your pet from harmful diseases by making sure a veterinarian vaccinates your pet properly
- Clean up after your pet – your pet is not everyone else’s pet. Cleaning up shows respect for others
- License and tag your pet – for the safety of your pet and others
- Obey all Daly City leash requirement laws – also for the safety of your pet, other pets and other people
- Never leave your pet in a car – this is considered pet neglect
- Properly contain your pet – use a fence, dog run or invisible fencing
- Collar your pet – for identification purposes. Make sure the collar is loose enough to fit two fingers between your pet and the collar
- Entertain your pet – this includes playtime with your pet and purchasing toys for when your pet is alone
- Housetrain your pet properly – whether this is a litter box for cats or outdoor training for dogs
- Provide proper training – teach your pet, from the beginning the difference between and wrong, and then be consistent about what your rules are
- Bathe and groom your pet – for dignity and health reasons
- Lock up poisons – this includes poisons in both the house and the yard
- Expose your pet to people – help your pet be a comfortable part of the whole world
- Recognize when you can no longer care for your pet – make the proper arrangements for your pet to continue to be cared for
- Know when you pet begins to suffer – work with your veterinarian to know what decisions should be made .out of respect for your pet’s quality of life
The responsibility of pet ownership is there to make sure your pet experience the best life possible.
For more information on proper pet ownership in Daly City or other needs your pet needs, contact NorCal Vet at (415) 413-7363.